This past Thursday, Station to Station rolled into town. Literally. The mobile art-installation-on-a-train is the brainchild of artist Doug Aitken, and it made its way into Downtown’s Union Station last week.
The train functions as a roving studio for the artists aboard and has been making stops across the country for shows in Pittsburgh; Kansas City, MO; Santa Fe, NM; and Barstow. The LA event featured multicolored art yurts with installations by Kenneth Anger, Urs Fischer, Liz Glynn, Carsten Holler, and Ernesto, and this large draw brought out the who’s who of the LA art scene.
Station to Station was not only the showcase for the artists’ exhibit, but a centerpiece for a concert series that featured Beck, No Age, Dan Deacon, Sun Araw, and The Congos. In honor of this unconventional merger of music and the railways, we’re presenting these transportation ditties. Whatever the mode, these songs will have you moving.
Songs That Hit The Road Tracklist:
01. Little Boots – “Motorway”
02. The Lonely Island – “I’m on A Boat”
03. Billy Ocean – “Get Out of Dreams”
04. Grateful Dead – “Ballad of Casey Jones”
05. Vampire Weekend – “M79″
06. The Beatles (Performed by Paul McCartney) – “Drive My Car”
07. Don Maclean – “American Pie”
08. Sir Mix A Lot – “My Hooptie”
09. Snow Patrol – “Chasing Cars”
10. John Denver – “Leaving on Jet Plane”