Something wonderful happened in Los Angeles this weekend. On Friday, Kristin Chenoweth sang at the Hollywood Bowl, and when she did, she called up an audience member to sing with her. For those of you who aren’t aware, Kristin Chenoweth is a well-known star of the musical Wicked, and it turns out the audience member she called up on stage was a vocal teacher. Suffice it to say, what transpired thereafter was spectacular and touching.
You can read and see the full account of the performance, but what’s important for the purposes of this article is that it reminded me of the magic of Broadway. Sometimes when life throws a curve ball your way, it’s good to take a step back and enjoy some thought-provoking music with lyrics that pertain to life’s ups and downs.
I’ve long been a fan of musical theater — even performing in a handful of musicals as a younger person — so without further ado, I’ll give you my ten favorite Broadway songs. These songs have taken me through a litany of life experiences, and please note that not all are the Broadway originals because I love some other performer’s renditions of the classic songs.
10 Favorite Broadway Songs Tracklist:
01. Wicked – “Defying Gravity” (Glee Rendition)
02. Rent – “Another Day”
03. Mamma Mia– “Lay All Your Love on Me”
04. Phantom of the Opera – “Angel of Music”
05. Cats – “Memory”
06. Grease – “You’re the One that I want”
07. Hairspray – “Can’t Stop Beat”
08. Fiddler on the Roof – “If I Were a Rich Man”
09. Les Miserables– “I Dreamed a Dream”
10. My Fair Lady – “I Could Have Danced All Night”