Imagine an impending global crisis that’s threatening the existence of mind-blowing rock sessions forever, and the only shred of hope lies within the power chord-punching hands of some of music’s greatest influences. Just picture a rendezvous between the likes of The Stone Temple Pilots, Bush, Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden in some dank garage studio somewhere rainy.
Okay, I’m getting ahead of myself, but Marvel Music and Hollywood Records’ announcement regarding the upcoming release of Avengers Assemble conjures up an Avengers-style union of musicians. Among the lineup are Evanescence, Theory of a Deadman, Bush, Buckcherry, Five Finger Death Punch, Scott Weiland, Rise Against, Papa Roach, Shinedown, and Soundgarden.
The last contribution is arguably the most anticipated. Although other featured artists such as Bush and Scott Weiland have undergone hiatuses of their own, it has been 15 years since a new Soundgarden track was available.
“We’ve been hard at work on our new album, which will come out this Fall,” the band stated in a press release. “When the opportunity arose to write an original song for ‘Marvel’s The Avengers’ film, we thought it could be a cool match. We are excited to release our new song ‘Live To Rise,’ which is also the only new song in the film. Here’s a taste. Loudest of Love.”
Since their reunion in 2010, Chris Cornell and company have headlined festivals, embarked on a world tour, and put out a retrospective, Telephantasm. They couldn’t have picked a better time to be included in the Avengers Assemble May 1 release, as they have been hard at work for their own LP to be released later this year.
Avengers Assemble is not to be confused with the motion picture’s original soundtrack, The Avengers, which features Oscar®-nominated and GRAMMY-winning composer Alan Silvestri and is scheduled to be released on the same date.
“Live to Rise” will also play during Marvel’s The Avengers end credits. The movie, starring Robert Downey Jr., Scarlet Johansson, Chris Evans, and Sameul L. Jackson, releases in theaters on May 4th.
The Avengers Assemble track list:
1. Live to Rise Performed by Soundgarden
2. I’m Alive Performed by Shinedown
3. Dirt and Roses Performed by Rise Against
4. Even If I Could Performed by Papa Roach
5. Unbroken Performed by Black Veil Brides
6. Breath Performed by Scott Weiland
7. Comeback Performed by Redlight King
8. Into the Blue Performed by Bush
9. A New Way to Bleed (Photek Remix) Performed by Evanescence
10. Count Me Out Performed by PUSHERJONES
11. Shoot to Thrill Performed by Theory of a Deadman
12. Wherever I Go Performed by Buckcherry
13. From Out of Nowhere Performed by Five Finger Death Punch
14. Shake the Ground Performed by Cherri Bomb
ADDITIONAL TRACK ON THE INTERNATIONAL RELEASE:
15. Pistols At Dawn Performed by Kasabian